The title in itself is shocking isn't it? In many ways I make no apology for that as I read time and time again people being prescribed anti-depressants and a concoction of other drugs. I can still remember the day myself, It was a sunny day with a cool breeze in the air. I was at university but instead of being in lectures I was nervously sitting in the universities doctor's waiting area. My mind was still in a state of confusion and no one up to this point had really sought to understand what it was like to live with the daily drudery of severe depression, social anxiety, panic attacks and perhaps the worst of all feelins of suicide. It was to date the lowest point I had ever reached in my life. I felt I was more of an inconveience rather than a victim. In some ways I shouldn't blame them, as how are they supposed to know what it's like. How do they know what it's like to live this nightmare that never seems to end. Every year it is the same old thing; Everyone else seems to get on and move forwards but I'm stuck here. I was so sick of it.
A few minutes later the doctor calls me in. He sits me down and I have to recite the all to familar story back to him. It was like he couldn't really care about it. Instead he said to me 'Take these anti-depressants and they will help you'. I reember going back home later that weekend and checked in with my parents and a few other close family. They told me not to take them, they could be harmful. So it was at that moment, that my life was probably saved again and I didn't even know it.
Fast forward 10 years later It's like the 2 events couldn't be further apart. It is like that ME never even existed and although traumatic at the time i set the wheels in motion for the work i do now. Having worked with numerous clients many of them have taken anti-depressants. I can't recall a single person who didn't have serious side affacts from the drugs. Like any drug there are serious health consequences with regards the gut lining being affected which can lead to bleeding and the fact that many of these drugs make you even more anxious as well. Not to mention the consequences of coming of the drugs. For more details I've linked to some excellent articles that will explore the science etc behind this post and I seriously encourage you to read these articles carefully and then think about how you can wean yourself of these drugs.
The truth be told that is that you can be anxiety and panic free without the need for drugs that can kill you. Did you ever stop to think what panic is? Did you ever ask yourself why you feel the way you do and what can be done to resolve your issue? Sure you probably did. But the problem is you got the wrong information. So here are some pointers to set the record straight once and for all:
1) Rule 1: Feelings and emotions are the fuel that drive the response. Let's explore this in detail. You wake up and "you feel panicky" you experience "panic overwhelming sensations". That right there is your feeling and emotion. Next the feelings and emotions increase in intensity and you get a panic attack. That is the response. You are responding to these intense feelings and because you are resisting and fighting them like crazy and trying to figure out what to do you go straight into a panic. Your body shakes, you get mentally confused and then you've lost all sense of rationality.
So how do you escape this without taking drugs????
2) Rule 2: You must have a positive intention everyday. You need to have a goal and a positive focus. It's no coincidence that those who are super successful have a strict morning and evening regime. Ideally you will focus on you goal in the morning paying attention to how it feels to have this goal, what it looks like, what your new positive beliefs are. Then you need to write down those negative beliefs. Get those written down on a sheet of paper and one by one start changing turning those negative beliefs into postive one's: e.g. 'I can't do it' 'I can do it' 'I'm so sick of these overwhelming panic feelings' 'I can be in control of my life now'
3) Rule 3: What you hold in mind is what you get. If you continually moan, complain and talk about how bad your life is right now ( I know I used to do it myself) then guess what you're going to attract that. The irony is, and I wish someone told me this years ago is that to be anxiety free requires nothing more than a simple, strong decision.
4) Rule 4: When going through a panic attack: ACCEPT it. RELAX into it. DEEP BREATHE. Breathing deeply in through your nose and out again helps to calm your body down. People just think that it takes a few minutes or 15-20 minutes to overcome a panic attack but that simply is not always the case. The more you apply this rule that more you'll disover you are more powerful than you think.
5) Rule 5: Invest in yourself. I find it absolutely staggering how people can buy new furniture, go on a weekend break, waste money buying anti-depressant drugs and lord knows what else but when it comes to paying for help people just think they are entitled to that for free. When I was suffering from my issues many many years ago I was on minimum wage, very basic salary and yet I still managed to pay $2,000 plus £640.00 for a flight to the USA to attend a seminar to help sort my life out. And boy am I glad I did as that seminar changed my whole life. So when you say "I can't afford it because money is tight right now" That is just a lie you sell yourself on. The fact is it has nothing to do with the price, it has everything to do with you. It means you want to keep your anxiety, it means you want to stay screwed up and it means you want to continue to blame everyone and the world about how bad your life is when really YOU are the problem. If you are in this mindset you need to ask yourself this question: What is it worth to me to be anxiety/panic free right now? If your answer is 'I don't know' 'Not sure' or anything like that then that just tells me you want to keep you anxiety and panic. There's no hope for you unless you change and invest in yourself. That's the cold hard truth of it.
So some of those rules you'll like but I suspect Rule 5 will get you all a bit defensive, and I make no apology for that. If you are not worth investing in then why should other's around you invest in YOU. Becauase people around you unless they have experienced anxiety don't understand you? They don't really get you and they by and large think you're making a huge deal out of nothing. It hurts to hear thr truth, I know it does. My job is to transform and help as many anxiety sufferers as I can. I wake up everyday thinking of new and better ways to make a difference, because I do understand you. I had it really really bad, worse than some of you reading this post. So take it from someone that has walked the fires of hell and come out the other side. You are worth gambling on. You are worth investing in. You are unique, special and talented. You were put on this Earth to fulfill a purpose, to make a difference. Talk to your GP and wean yourself of these drugs and read the articles below and turn your life around.
If you are serious about getting help then get your free 30 day trial to a new membership site that comes with 4 live coaching calls every month, ability to message me, comment on posts and loads more. See Below:
Article 1: https://chriskresser.com/the-dark-side-of-antidepressants/
Article 2: This article I like because it basically tells you how screwed up these drugs are but "assures" you that you'll be fine. It's a bit like saying go to the zoo, open the cage to the lions and hang out with them because they've never attacked anyone before, hmm sounds crazy to me... http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antidepressant-drugs/Pages/Side-effects.aspx
Article 3: Very informative article on Prozac and similar prescription drugs: https://www.drugwatch.com/prozac/
Artilce 4: Perhaps the best article and the one I enjoyed reading the most. READ THIS if you are currently on any anti-depressant medication or SSRI: https://www.madinamerica.com/2012/09/things-your-doctor-should-tell-you-about-antidepressants/
Membership Site: For your free 30 day trial check out this link. I'd love your ideas and input and to help you on your journey:) http://getanxietyandpanicfree.valueaddon.com/